1. Harvard study, children's footwear recommendations (http://www.pediped.com/harvard-study.aspx)
2. Rossi, W. 2002. Children’s footwear: Launching site for adult foot ills, It’s time to advocate shoelessness for kids. Podiatry Management. October 2002. (http://nwfootankle.com/files/ChildrensFootwear-LaunchingSiteforAdultFootIlls.pdf)
3. Shine, LM. 1965. Incidence of Hallux Valgus in a partially shoe wearing community. BMJ 1965.
4. Rao, UB; Joseph, B. 1992. The Influence of Footwear on the Prevalence of Flat Foot: A Survey of 2300 children. BJBJS. 74B(4).
5. Pfeiffer, M, et al. 2006. Prevalence of Flat Foot in Preschool-Aged Children. Pediatrics. 118(2)
6. Tudor, A, et al. 2009. Flat-Footedness Is Not a Disadvantage for Athletic
Performance in Children Aged 11 to 15 Years. Pediatrics. 123(3).
7. Staheli, L. 1991. Shoes for Children: A Review. Pediatrics. 88(2).
1. Lieberman, D; et al. 2010. Foot Strike Patters and Collision Forces in Habitually Barefoot versus Shod Runners. Nature 463(28).
2. Shakoor, N; Block, J. 2006. Walking barefoot decreases loading on the LEX joints in knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism 54(9).
3. Robbins, SE; Gouw, GJ. 1990. Athletic footwear and chronic overloading. Sports Medicine 9(2).
4. Robbins, SE; Hanna, AM. 1987. Running-related injury prevention through barefoot adaptations. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 19(2).
5. Robbins, SE; Waked, E. 1997. Hazard of deceptive advertising of
athletic footwear. British Journal of Sports Medicine
6. Braunstein, B. 2010. Footwear affects the gearing at
the ankle and knee joints during running. J Biomech 43(10).
7. Kerrigan, C; et al. 2009. The effect of running shoes
on lower extremity joint torques. PM&R 1(12).
8. Divert, C, et al. 2005. Mechanical comparison of
barefoot and shod running. Int J Sports Med. 26(7)
9. Nigg, B; et al. 2001. The Role of Impact Forces and Foot Pronation: A New Paradigm. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 11(1).
10. Nigg, B; et al.1993. Effects of arch height of the foot on angular motion of the lower extremities in running. Journal of Biomechanics. 26(8).
11. Wilson, D; et al. 2005. Core stability and its relationship to lower extremity function and injury. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 13(5).
12. Chakravarty, E., et al. 2008. Long Distance Running and Knee Osteoarthritis A Prospective Study. Am J Prev Med. 35(2).
13. Andriacchi, T. 2009. Gait mechanics influence healthy cartilage morphology and osteoarthritis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91(1).
14. Heiderschiet, B. 2011. Effects of step rate manipulation on joint mechanics during running. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 43(2).
15. Daoud, A, et al. 2012. Foot Strike and Injury Rates in Endurance Runners: a retrospective study. Med Sci Sports Exerc. ePub ahead of print 3 Jan 2012.
16. Perl, D, et al. 2012. Effects of Footwear and Strike Type on Running Economy. Med Sci Sports Exerc. ePub ahead of print 3 Jan 2012.
17. Diebal, A, et al. 2012. Forefoot Running Improves Pain and Disability Associated With Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome. Am J Sports Med. ePub ahead of print 16 Mar 2012.
18. Lieberman, D. 2012. What we can Learn about Running from Barefoot Running: an evolutionary medical perspective. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 40(2).
19. Jenkins, D, Cauthon, D. Barefoot running claims and controversies: a review of the literature. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2011; 101(3):231-246.
20. D’Aou, K, Patakyc, T, De Clercqd, D and Aertsad, P. 2009. The effects of habitual footwear use: foot shape and function in native barefoot walkers. Footwear Science 1(2).
21. Larson, P, et al. 2011. Foot strike patterns of recreational and sub-elite runners in a long-distance road race. J Sports Sci. 29(15): 1665-73.
22. Diebal, A, et al. 2011. Effects of Forefoot Running on Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome: A Case Series. Int J Sports Phys Ther 6(4): 312–321.
Pronation-control Shoe Studies
1. Ryan, M; et al. 2009. The effect of three different levels of footwear stability on pain outcomes in women runners: A randomised control trial. BJSM.
2. Knapik, J, et al. 2010. Injury Reduction Effectiveness of Assigning Running Shoes Based on Plantar Shape in Marine Corps Basic Training. AJSM. 20(10).
3. Richards, C; et al. 2008. Is your prescription of distance running shoes evidence based? BJSM.
4. Clinghan, R; et al. 2008. Do you get value for money when you buy an expensive pair of running shoes? BJSM.
1. Zipfel, B; Berger, LR. 2007. Shod versus unshod: The emergence of forefoot pathology in modern humans? The Foot. 17(4).
1. Roll, Régine; et al. 2002. Cutaneous afferents from
human plantar sole contribute to body posture awareness. Neuroreport. 13(15).
2. Nurse, M; Nigg, B. 1999. Quantifying a relationship between tactile and vibration sensitivity of the human foot with plantar pressure distributions during gait. Clinical Biomechanics. 14(9).
3. Robbins, S, Hanna, A, and Jones, A. 1988. Sensory
Attenuation Induced by Modem Athletic Footwear. Journal of Testing
and Evaluation. 16(4): 412-416.
4. Waked, E, Robbins, S, and McClaran, J. 1997. The
Effect of Footwear Midsole Hardness and Thickness on Proprioception
and Stability in Older Men Journal of-Testing alia Evaluation. 25(1): 143-148.
5. Robbins, S, Waked, E. 1997. Foot Position Awareness: the effect of footwear on instability, excessive impact, and ankle spraining. Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, 9(1):53-74.
6. Robbins, S, McOlaran, J, Waked, E. 1993. Protective Sensation of the Plantar Aspect of the Foot. Foot and Ankle. 14(6).
1. McDougall, Christopher. 2009. Born to Run: A Hidden tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World has Never Seen.
2. Neuroanthropology online. Lose your shoes: Is barefoot
better? Posted by gregdowney on July 26, 2009.
3. Why Shoes make ‘Normal’ gait impossible. William Rossi, DPM
4. Barefoot running. Michael Warburton.
5. You Walk Wrong. Adam Sternbergh. New York Magazine. April 21,
6. Ingram, G; McClanahan, R. 2007. Treatment of Plantar Fasciosis. Naturopathic Doctor News and Review. March 2007.
7. Which shoes are best for children? Maybe none. Natalie Angier. New York Times. August 14, 1991.
8. Phys Ed: Can Running Actually Help Your Knees? Gretchen Reynolds. New York Times. August 11, 2011.
9. Munson, E. The Soldier's Foot and the Military Shoe. (Free on Google Books)
10. Heinrich, B. Why We Run: A natural history.